In this article, we discuss the 10 best CBD stocks to invest in. You can skip our detailed analysis of these stocks and the current market situation, and go directly to 5 Best CBD Stocks To Invest In. With the growing acceptance of cannabis among global consumers and their elected representatives, the CBD market has […] These are the marijuana stocks with the best value, fastest growth, and best performance for September 2022.
10 Best CBD Stocks To Invest In
In this article, we discuss the 10 best CBD stocks to invest in. You can skip our detailed analysis of these stocks and the current market situation, and go directly to 5 Best CBD Stocks To Invest In.
With the growing acceptance of cannabis among global consumers and their elected representatives, the CBD market has experienced vast growth due to an increase in sales, legalization, and medical and recreational benefits of the substance. Cannabidiol, or CBD in short, is a constituent of cannabis that is commonly used for medical purposes. Deemed federally illegal before the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, the compound is used for treating anxiety, dystonia, and Parkinson’s disease, among many other medical conditions. The rising awareness CBD among the general public and its effectiveness in pain management and various other treatments is propelling the industry’s growth. According to a report, the CBD market accounted for approximately $12.8 billion in 2021, and is estimated to grow by roughly 21.7% CAGR between 2022 and 2028.
The global Covid-19 pandemic had an unprecedented impact on the global economy, which inevitably affected the demand for cannabidiol across the world. The global market exhibited growth of 26.42% during 2020, significantly lower than the average year-on-year growth during 2017-2019. However, with market functionality returning to pre-pandemic levels, the cannabis market seems to have a profitable future, due to countries such as the Unites States and Canada liberalizing their laws for cannabidiol products since the past few years, leading to a wider acceptance of the products amongst people. As the demographics of consumers continues to shift radically due to the utility of CBD becoming mainstream among major industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics, the sales of cannabis-related products are gaining huge traction. According to data from Leafly, an online marijuana marketplace, legal U.S. cannabis sales increased by 35% to a total of $24.6 billion in 2021.
The above serves to prove that the cannabidiol industry is set to become a highly lucrative investment opportunity that offers your portfolio an excellent source of growth, with companies like Altria Group, Inc. (NYSE:MO), Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ:JAZZ), Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL), and Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON) ready to rake in the benefits due to these developments.
For our list, we chose stocks based on their performance in the CBD industry. The business fundamentals and analyst ratings for these firms are also discussed to provide readers with some additional context for their investment choices.
The hedge fund sentiment around each stock was derived from Insider Monkey’s database which tracks 912 hedge funds as of the first quarter of 2022.
10 Best CBD Stocks To Invest In
10. Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF)
Number Of Hedge Fund Holders: 3
Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF) is a greenhouse-grown vegetable company that markets agricultural products.
The Company’s wholly-owned Canadian subsidiary, Pure Sunfarms, is one of the single largest cannabis operations in the world, the lowest-cost greenhouse producer and one of the best-selling brands in Canada. On the other hand, the company’s wholly-owned Balanced Health Botanicals operates as one of the leading CBD brands and e-commerce platforms in the United States.
Earlier this May, Craig-Hallum analyst Eric Des Lauriers lowered the price target on Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF) to $5 from $15 to reflect inflation and macro valuation headwinds. However, the analyst maintained a Buy rating on the shares given the strong near-term growth expected in Canadian cannabis and discount versus peers.
According to Insider Monkey’s database, Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF) was spotted on 3 investment portfolios by the end of the first quarter of 2022. The total stakes of these funds in the company amounted to approximately $2.43 million. Israel Englander’s Millennium Management is the largest stakeholder in Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF) , with stakes valued at $2.36 million.
Just like Altria Group, Inc. (NYSE:MO), Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ:JAZZ), Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL), and Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON), Village Farms International, Inc. (NASDAQ:VFF) is one of the stocks that investors are keeping their eye on.
9. Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL)
Number Of Hedge Fund Holders: 7
Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL) is a Canada-based company that is engaged in the business of production, distribution and sale of cannabis and CBD products in Canada. The company’s portfolio brands includes Top Leaf, Sundial Cannabis, Palmetto, and Grasslands. The stock has climbed in the past few days after Rhode Island become the 19th state in the U.S. to legalize recreational marijuana.
On May 3, BMO Capital analyst Tamy Chen upgraded Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL) to Market Perform from Underperform with a price target of $0.70, up from $0.60. According to the analyst, the company continues to deploy capital across multiple segments, consisting of cannabis production, retail, and structured investments.
At the end of the first quarter of 2022, 7 hedge funds in the database of Insider Monkey held stakes worth $26.87 million in Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL), compared to 8 in the preceding quarter worth $10 million. Among these, D.E. Shaw is a leading shareholder in the company, with 33.78 million shares worth more than $23.65 million
8. Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NASDAQ:ACB)
Number Of Hedge Fund Holders: 9
Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NASDAQ:ACB) is a Canadian licensed cannabis producer, headquartered in Edmonton, Canada. The stock surged on April 11 as authorities in New Jersey stated that a select group of cannabis firms will be allowed to sell recreational marijuana products within weeks. Additionally, the company also purchased rival vertically integrated cannabis firm TerraFarma for $38 million back in March.
Earlier this May, Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Pablo Zuanic maintained a Neutral rating on the shares of Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NASDAQ:ACB) with a C$3.90 price target. According to the analyst, the company increased cash cost savings targets which gives further credence to its goal of becoming EBITDA positive by this coming December on a run rate basis.
At the end of the first quarter of 2022, 9 hedge funds in the database of Insider Monkey held stakes worth $40.8 million in Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NASDAQ:ACB), down from 11 the preceding quarter worth $69.6 million.
7. Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON)
Number Of Hedge Fund Holders: 9
Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON) is a company focused on medical marijuana and recreational cannabis for adult use that is best known for producing, selling, and marketing products in Canada, Germany, Israel, Italy and Australia. Shares of the global cannabis company rocketed up 13.5% after it reported its earnings for the first three months of 2022.
CIBC analyst John Zamparo upgraded Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON) to Outperform from Neutral with an unchanged price target of $4.50 on May 13. According to Zamparo, the company’s shares provided downside protection and upside from a potential continuation of vastly improved results. He also adds that he sees “multiple reasons for optimism,” stating that the company still has $1 billion in net cash, its valuation “looks attractive,” and its path to profitability took a “significant step forward” in Q1.
According to the first quarter database of Insider Monkey, 9 hedge funds held long positions in Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON), compared to 11 funds in the earlier quarter. The total stakes owned in Q1 amounted to $48.14 million. Traci Lerner’s Chescapmanager LLC is the leading shareholder in Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON), with 8.32 million shares worth more than $32.39 million.
6. Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA)
Number Of Hedge Fund Holders: 13
Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA) is an early commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing medication and therapeutics to treat diseases associated with pain and inflammation. The company is also developing orally administered cannabinoid receptor (CB) agonists for the treatment of neuropathic pain and inflammation.
Earlier this May, H.C. Wainwright analyst Oren Livnat “strongly” reiterated a Buy rating on Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA) with a $30 price target on its shares. The analyst, who believes the profitability of IV Korsuva and Cara’s profit-split revenue will “positively surprise investors,” noted that he looks forward to the Q2 results to get the first look at net IV Korsuva sales.
At the end of the first quarter of 2022, 13 hedge funds in the database of Insider Monkey held stakes worth $75.8 million in Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA), compared to 15 in the preceding quarter worth $69.3 million. Out of the hedge funds being tracked by Insider Monkey, Thomas Steyer’s Farallon Capital is a leading shareholder in Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA), with 2.5 million shares worth more than 30.37 million.
Similar to Altria Group, Inc. (NYSE:MO), Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ:JAZZ), Sundial Growers Inc. (NASDAQ:SNDL), and Cronos Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CRON), Cara Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CARA) is a notable CBD stock to buy.
Click to continue reading and see the 5 Best CBD Stocks To Invest In.
Top Marijuana Stocks for September 2022
CL.CX, SNDL, and VRNO.CX are top for value, growth, and performance
Nathan Reiff has been writing expert articles and news about financial topics such as investing and trading, cryptocurrency, ETFs, and alternative investments on Investopedia since 2016.
The marijuana industry is made up of companies that either support or are engaged in the research, development, distribution, and sale of medical and recreational marijuana. Cannabis has begun to gain wider acceptance and has been legalized in a growing number of nations, states, and other jurisdictions for recreational, medicinal, and other uses. Some of the biggest companies in the marijuana industry include Canopy Growth Corp., Cronos Group Inc., and Tilray Inc. Many big marijuana companies have continued to post sizable net losses as they focus on investments needed to speed up revenue growth. 37 U.S. states now permit the use of marijuana in some form.
Marijuana stocks, as represented by the ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ), have vastly underperformed the broader market. MJ has provided a total return of -63.6% over the past 12 months, well below the Russell 1000 Index’s total return of -8.2%. These market performance numbers and all statistics in the tables below are as of Aug. 24, 2022.
Here are the top five marijuana stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the best performance.
Best Value Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-sales (P/S) ratio. For companies in the early stages of development or industries suffering from major shocks, this can be substituted as a rough measure of a business’s value. A business with higher sales could eventually produce more profit when it achieves (or returns to) profitability. The P/S ratio shows how much you’re paying for the stock for each dollar of sales generated.
|Best Value Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/S Ratio|
|Cresco Labs Inc. (CL.CX)||CA$4.92||CA$1.5||1.3|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||1.6|
|Aurora Cannabis Inc. (ACB)||1.57||0.5||1.8|
|TerrAscend Corp. (TER.CX)||CA$2.32||CA$0.6||1.9|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||2.1|
- Cresco Labs Inc.: Cresco Labs is a cannabis products company involved in growing, manufacturing, and distribution. The company operates in 10 states, including more than 70 total production facilities and dispensaries. Its brands include Cresco, Remedi, High Supply, Wonder Wellness Co., Mindy’s, Good News, Sunnyside, and FloraCal Farms. Cresco Labs’ stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker CRLBF. On July 15, Cresco reported that Columbia Care Inc., a cultivator and maker of cannabis products, had obtained the final order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia approving its business combination with Cresco Labs. Per the agreement, Cresco will acquire all outstanding shares of Columbia Care. The combination is expected to close in Q4 2022. At the time of the announcement, it was estimated that Cresco Labs is paying $2 billion for Columbia Care.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: Jushi Holdings is a holding company focused on branded cannabis and hemp-based assets. The company is engaged in retail, distribution, cultivation, and processing operations. Its brands include: The Bank, focused on plant genetics and cultivation; The Lab, specializing in vape products and concentrates; Nira+, a producer of medicinal THC products; Sèche, which offers various branded ground and flower cannabis products; and Tasteology, a provider of THC-infused products. Jushi also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker JUSHF. Jushi announced in late August that its fourth medical cannabis dispensary in Virginia would open on Aug. 31. This is the company’s 35th retail outlet nationwide.
- Aurora Cannabis Inc.: Aurora Cannabis is a Canada-based company specializing in the production, distribution, and sale of medical cannabis products. Its brands include Aurora, Aurora Drift, Daily Special, MedReleaf, Whistler, and more. The company’s growth strategy targets medical cannabis markets across the globe as well as the U.S. hemp-derived CBD market and the Canadian recreational market. On Aug. 25, Aurora announced that it had acquired a controlling interest in Bevo AgTech Inc., a vegetable and ornamental plant company, through a subsidiary. Bevo operates 63 acres of greenhouses in Canada. Total consideration at the time of closing was roughly $45 million, with an additional payment of up to $12 million payable for up to three years following the acquisition depending on Bevo’s achieving various financial milestones.
- TerrAscend Corp.: TerrAscend is a Canada-based vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in Canada and the U.S. The company’s brands and business lines include Gage Cannabis, The Apothecarium, Ilera Healthcare, Kind Tree, Prism, State Flower, and Valhalla Confections. TerrAscend also trades OTC in U.S. markets under the ticker TRSSF. On Aug. 24, TerrAscend announced the closing of its acquisition of Michigan-based dispensary operator KISA Enterprises MI, LLC and related real estate assets. TerrAscend paid total consideration of $28.5 million for KISA. The acquisition includes six dispensary licenses.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: Trulieve is a vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in eight states. The company’s brands include Cultivar Collection, Muse, Sweet Talk, and Momenta. Trulieve shares trade OTC under the ticker TCNNF. On Aug. 10, Trulieve reported earnings for Q2 2022. The company posted a net loss of $22.5 million compared with net income for the prior-year quarter as well as a 49% increase in revenue year over year (YOY). Net income was negatively impacted by charges associated with the acquisition of Harvest as well as other factors.
Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the highest YOY sales growth for the most recent quarter. Rising sales can help investors identify companies that are able to grow revenue organically or through other means and find growing companies that have not yet reached profitability. In addition, accounting factors that may not reflect the overall strength of the business can significantly influence earnings per share (EPS). However, sales growth can also be potentially misleading about the strength of a business because growing sales for money-losing businesses can be harmful if the companies have no plan to reach profitability.
|Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||Revenue Growth (%)|
|SNDL Inc. (SNDL)||2.78||0.7||2,250|
|OrganiGram Holdings Inc. (OGI)||1.09||0.3||82.8|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||54.6|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||48.6|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||47.6|
- SNDL Inc.: SNDL is a Canada-based cannabis producer. The company operates cultivation and processing facilities, retail stores, and also sells alcoholic beverages. Its cannabis brands include Sundial, Top Leaf, Palmetto, and Grasslands. At its annual and special shareholder meeting in late July, the company officially changed its name from Sundial Growers Inc. to SNDL Inc. It also implemented a share consolidation under which 10 pre-consolidation common shares were consolidated into one post-consolidation common share, effective July 25. The company announced on Aug. 22 that it would acquire cannabis product manufacturer The Valens Company Inc. (VLNS) for total consideration of about $138 million. The deal is expected to close in Jan. 2023.
- OrganiGram Holdings Inc.: Organigram Holdings is a Canada-based producer of medical and recreational cannabis. Its subsidiaries include Organigram Inc., Laurentian Organic Inc., and The Edibles and Infusions Corp., and its brands include Edison Cannabis Co., SHRED, and monjour, among others.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: See above for company description. Note that Jushi Holdings reported Q2 2022 earnings results for Q2 2022 on Aug. 29, 2022. Jushi’s ranking in the table above is based on its Q1 2022 earnings report.
- Cronos Group Inc.: Cronos Group is a Canada-based cannabis company. Its brand portfolio includes Spinach, Happy Dance, and PEACE+. Cronos reported Q2 2022 earnings results on Aug. 9. Its net loss narrowed significantly YOY as consolidated net revenue rose. Revenue was driven in particular by Israel net revenue, which more than tripled YOY.
Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance
These are the marijuana stocks that had the smallest declines in total return over the past 12 months out of the companies we looked at.
|Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Verano Holdings Corp. (VRNO.CX)||CA$8.40||CA$2.7||-44.2|
|4Front Ventures Corp. (FFNT.CX)||CA$0.69||CA$0.4||-47.5|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||-49.3|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||-53.0|
|Green Thumb Industries Inc. (GTII.CX)||CA$16.23||CA$3.8||-57.1|
|ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ)||N/A||N/A||-63.6|
- Verano Holdings Corp.: Verano Holdings is a vertically integrated, multi-state cannabis operator. The company produces a wide range of medical and adult-use cannabis products. It owns and operates 13 cultivation and manufacturing facilities and owns over 100 dispensaries in a number of states throughout the U.S. The company’s stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker VRNOF. On Aug. 19, Verano announced the opening of its 111th dispensary nationwide and its fourth location in Clarksburg, W.Va.
- 4Front Ventures Corp.: 4Front Ventures is a cannabis operator and retailer. It owns, operates, or manages cultivation and manufacturing properties in five states and employs over 600. Its stores attracted more than 1 million unique customers in 2021. 4Front also trades OTC under the symbol FFNTF. On Aug. 15, 4Front reported Q2 2022 earnings results. Its net loss widened slightly YOY as total revenues climbed. The company its operations in Massachusetts and California posted strong performance during the quarter.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Cronos Group Inc.: See above for company description.
- Green Thumb Industries Inc.: Green Thumb Industries is a cannabis retailer and consumer packaged products company. It markets products under brand names including Beboe, Dogwalkers, Doctor Solomon’s, Good Green, incredibles, and RYTHM. It has 77 open retail locations across 15 U.S. markets. Green Thumb stock also trades OTC under the ticker GTBIF.
Trends to Watch in Marijuana Stocks
Marijuana stocks have given investors a wild ride over the past few years, staging eye-watering rallies and substantial declines. Those who invest in this emerging sector should monitor these key trends as they will likely guide price direction in months and years ahead.
Financing: Most U.S. financial institutions avoid offering to fund cannabis companies as marijuana is still federally illegal, meaning lenders that provide loans could face possible prosecution. However, the Secure and Fair Enforcement Banking Act (SAFE)—which passed through the House in 2021—aims to address this by preventing the federal government from penalizing banks that offer financial services to the cannabis industry. Although the legislation has failed to gain support in the Senate, investors should monitor any amendments to the bill that could increase the chances of it gaining congressional approval.
Increasing Merger and Acquisition Activity: As of last year’s fourth quarter, $8.5 billion worth of merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions had closed in the sector, significantly higher than the $3 billion worth of deals in 2020 and $3.6 billion in 2019. Increasing dealmaking in the cannabis space indicates that institutional investors have growing confidence in the industry’s future.
Potential U.S. Legalization: While several cannabis legalization bills grace the halls of Congress, bipartisan support remains difficult to achieve, creating a large amount of uncertainty for industry participants. However, several leading Canadian operators, such as Cronos and Tilray, are banking on the U.S. cannabis market, with both companies entering into acquisition deals subject to its decriminalization south of the border.
Advantages of Marijuana Stocks
Despite the underwhelming performance of marijuana stocks over the past year amid an uncertain regulatory environment, the sector offers risk-taking investors significant growth potential. According to industry analysis firm MJBizDaily, U.S. cannabis sales will surpass $33 billion in 2022 before reaching $52 billion by the end of 2026. Moreover, the global cannabis market is expected to reach nearly $200 billion by 2028, up from $28 billion in 2021.
The comments, opinions, and analyses expressed herein are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt any investment strategy. Though we believe the information provided herein is reliable, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within our content are rendered as of the date of the posting and may change without notice. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.