Choosing the Best Cannabis Strains for Pain
Cannabis has been used for centuries to treat a variety of illnesses and diseases in many cultures across the globe. As far back as 2,900 BC in China , cannabis was a popular treatment for anything from joint pain to malaria. Today, many people still use this plant to heal themselves and alleviate the symptoms of chronic pain. However, if you’re new to medicating with cannabis for pain, you may not be sure where to start. In this article, we’ll explore how cannabis alleviates pain, what ailments it can treat, and the best cannabis strains for pain.
How Can Cannabis Alleviate Pain?
Doctors and scientists alike have conducted a variety of studies on the subject of cannabis for pain relief. One of these studies, in particular, found that cannabis was effective when it came to treating chronic pain , such as neuropathy. A smaller study conducted on cancer patients also saw positive numbers with 70% of patients experiencing less pain and more overall well-being. Furthermore, people who commonly suffer from migraines reported a noticeable decrease in pain when medicating with cannabis.
Ailments Cannabis Can Help Treat
While there are still studies being conducted on how cannabis can improve people’s health, there is evidence to show that it helps with chronic pain . Cannabis may help treat your pain, if you suffer from one of the following conditions:
- Temporomandibular Jaw Disorder (TMJ)
- Neck pain
- Lower back pain
- Injury-related pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain related to HIV/AIDS
- Cancer pain
- Neuropathic pain
THC vs. CBD
Much like when using cannabis to treat anxiety , both THC and CBD offer benefits when treating pain. THC reacts with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain that are connected to the brain’s reward system, which in turn, reduces pain levels. The euphoric high is also associated with THC and it’s this elevated state of consciousness that can help people forget about their pain. On the other hand, CBD interacts with pain receptors in the brain, producing anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. Depending on the type of pain people are suffering from THC, CBD, or a mixture of the two can offer substantial relief.
Cannabis Strains for Pain
These strains have been shown to provide relief to those suffering from pain:
- Girl Scout Cookies – A hybrid blend of THC and CBD, this famous strain has distinctive orange hairs and purple leaves. This cannabis strain promotes relaxation, as well as alleviates nausea; however, it’s best to start with a low dose.
- ACDC – This CBD-dominant strain works effectively to relax the body and alleviate any pain. Anyone looking to medicate but still be productive will enjoy this strain, as it provides a physical, not mental high.
- Master Kush – It’s the frosty glow and potent effects of these buds that earned this famous strain the name of Master Kush. As a THC-dominant strain, users will enjoy calming relief, as well as improved relaxation.
- Harlequin – Combining the best of both worlds, the Harlequin strain achieves balance with an equal blend of CBD and THC. Pain sufferers will enjoy the harmony this strain provides and find it particularly useful for medicating during the day.
- White Widow – Another balanced strain, White Widow can help soothe your mind while also alleviating physical discomfort. As it contains linalool, this strain is especially helpful for treating inflammation and pain.
- Blue Dream – The well-known Blue Dream strain is a powerful medicine against pain. This strain provides euphoric feelings while also calming the body enough to relieve painful sensations but still allows you to get work done, if need be.
- CBD Critical Mass – This strain also finds the happy place between CBD and THC to offer cannabis users double the benefits. Alongside pain, this strain is also very adept at reducing inflammation and replacing it with euphoric feelings.
- Blackberry Kush – As this is a THC-dominant strain, it will provide the cannabis user with a feeling of euphoria allowing them to forget about the pain. Coupled with its fruity flavour, this strain offers a pleasant relief from any physical discomfort.
Time to Enjoy
Cannabis is one of the best natural medicines and with these cannabis strains, you’ll be able to alleviate any chronic pain you may be experiencing. For more cannabis strain recommendations, head to our Instagram . Those looking for more cannabis education and tips on smoking, be sure to visit the Parkdale Brass blog . Don’t forget to check at our online shop, as well. We’ll soon be restocking our functional, rugged, and timeless brass pipes.
Many people use cannabis to heal themselves and alleviate the symptoms of chronic pain. In this article, we’ll explore how cannabis alleviates pain, what ailments it can treat, and the best cannabis strains for pain.
Cannabis for Self-Care: The Best Strains for Pain
Pain is the #1 reason people turn to medical cannabis in the first place, and a number of clinical studies have demonstrated the cannabis plant’s potential to help us fight several types of pain.
But that leaves us with a sticky question: With so many different types of cannabis out there, what are the best strains for pain? We’ll get you pointed in the right direction by sharing some information about how cannabis helps us fight pain as well as giving you specific strain recommendations.
Best Strains for Pain: How Cannabis Fights Pain
Just like there’s not just one kind of weed, there’s not just one kind of pain. The three main types are:
- Nociceptive Pain: The easiest type to understand, nociceptive pain results from a physical injury; it’s often treated with anti-inflammatory medications
- Neuropathic Pain: This can be caused by an injury, but is specific to an injury to a nerve; anti-inflammatory medications aren’t usually effective
- Central Pain: Sometimes called the “mystery pain,” central pain arises without a physical injury. Fibromyalgia is one well-known example.
The good news is that cannabis has the potential to treat all three types of pain, in different ways.
Best Strains for Pain: Nociceptive Pain
For nociceptive pain, cannabis’ well-documented anti-inflammatory effects are typically quite effective. Both major cannabinoids THC and CBD have anti-inflammatory properties, and both fight pain in different ways; that’s one reason that the best strains for pain often contain a healthy proportion of both.
As we’ve written before, though, those cannabinoids aren’t the only thing fighting inflammation and pain. Many terpenes elicit analgesic (pain-fighting) and anti-inflammatory responses in the body; now it appears that some members of the largely under-researched class of compounds called flavonoids have powerful anti-inflammatory effects as well. Two of the best strains for nociceptive pain include:
With an extremely CBD-heavy cannabinoid ratio, this powerhouse strain produces few if any intoxicating effects. It helps many patients treat pain, anxiety and more with a clear head.
This high-THC strain has an optimal amount of CBD as a buffer (1-4%) to mitigate some of its effects. Fans love its daytime or nighttime versatility and ability to tame pain.
Best Strains for Pain: Neuropathic Pain
THC is useful in alleviating the experience of this pain by stimulating our CB1 receptors to provide some mild euphoria. And while some researchers warn of a lack of definitive proof, a 2012 study showed that CBD can be effective against some forms of neuropathic pain. Two of the best strains for neuropathic pain include:
CBD Sour Cyclone
At a nearly medically ideal 2:1 CBD to THC ratio, this is another versatile strain for pain. Given it’s ratio, you’ll feel few psychoactive effects; many fall in love with its earthy, sweet and sour flavor.
A versatile strain that’s equally appropriate for daytime or nighttime use, Shurman tends to quiet your nerves and anxiety while boosting motivation and focus.
Best Strains for Pain: Central Pain
Because the theory of central pain is still so new, there are many open questions regarding this mysterious family of afflictions. For many years, many physicians didn’t believe fibromyalgia was a “real” condition. Obviously, this makes finding a treatment especially difficult. That said, in one study on 26 fibromyalgia patients, every patient found that cannabis improved their condition; half of them stopped taking other medications in favor of cannabis. Two of the best strains for central pain include:
CBD Critical Mass
Touted as being effective in treating inflammation, muscle pain, muscle spasms, and stress. Not only is it hugely medicinal, with its earthy, woody, and sweet flavors, it’s delicious, happy and uplifting
Perhaps the most popular high-CBD strain in North America, Harlequin treats anxiety, chronic pain, inflammation, PMS and cramps, among others. It’s often described as bringing clear-headed and uplifting effects.
If you’re looking to fight pain, check out our online menu to place an order. We’ll let you know when it’s ready.
A few studies point to cannabis’ effectiveness in taming several types of pain; the hard part is knowing where to begin! Here are the best strains for pain.